I found an injured bird. What do I do ?
- Get a cardboard with a lid and make some air-holes on it. Take a towel and place it on the bird. Gently scoop up the bird with the towel and place it in the cardboard box. You can leave the towel/ cloth inside the box. Close the lid of the box.
- Place the box is a safe place/quite room away from disturbance from other animals like cats & dogs and children. Birds go into shock very easily when injured, and often die from the shock.
- Do not make noise or play music. The bird is already stressed and keeping it quiet and dark helps calm the bird and aids its recovery.
- Do not try to force feed or forcefully give water to the bird. Feeding may lead to choking or aspiration and food poisoning. Especially with baby birds, their instinct is to open their mouth and ask for food; however they are very sensitive and feeding them the wrong food can kill them!
- Only provide food and water if a rehabilitator specifically instructs you to do so.
- Please DO NOT pour water into or on the bird. When you try pouring water into the mouth, it can enter its lungs, which can lead to pneumonia and pouring water on the animal leads to hypothermia.
- Please call 'Bonyo India' Bird Rescue Helpline ( +91 70445 44445) and follow the instructions OR inform nearby Forest Department as soon as possible.